Sunday, June 26, 2011

Eating Out: Subway's New Avocado

I was never a huge fan of Subway, even in my meat-eating days. In my opinion, their meat is some of the grossest, lowest quality meat- probably the lowest of any "sub place" I can think of. I actually switched to veggie subs there years ago, but since going vegan, I've stayed away because I've heard that their bread has a lot of additives, and I don't like the idea of not getting any protein or healthy fats in my meal now that I have to watch that stuff closely!

All of this aside, Dustin and I have been pretty eager to try Subway's new avocado, since we're both VERY new fans of guacamole. We have found that drastically changing our diets has in turn changed our tastes pretty drastically. We have both begun to like a lot of things that we used to hate! I wasn't sure if plain mashed avocado would be good or not, so I made sure to get jalapenos so it would be more like guacamole. Here's what I ordered: a veggie sub on white bread (I heard their wheat isn't vegan, but it might just be because of honey. More importantly, the wheat is also lower in protein and higher in sugar,) with all veggies except olives, sweet onion teriyaki (probably full of sugar, but vegan and delicious,) and avocado.

It definitely surpassed anything I've ever had from Subway in tastiness, and I can even imagine craving it pretty often. I'm so excited to have another fast food (sort of) option that is vegan, delicious AND healthy! (Although I do wonder how they keep the avocado from turning brown... but that's the reason I cook my own meals most of the time now!)

Image is courtesy of Ingestibles @ tumblr.com, because I inhaled my sub before I had the chance to snap a photo! Whoops!

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to try this out at an "almost" Subway... the one in Walmart in Heidelberg and the one in the Tanger outlets lack the death-fish mix.

    ReplyDelete