Monday, June 20, 2011

Super Easy Recipe: Zucchini Pizzas

At a red light on my way home from work today, I googled "zucchini recipes" because we have so much of it right now. HUGE ones were still only 75 cents each at the farmer's market, so of course, I thought I needed to buy like 4 of them for this week. I found a photo of something someone called "zucchini pizzas" and got really excited. I told myself that there was no way that they'd be as good as they looked, but I was going to try to knock them off anyway- just in case. Well, they were every bit as good as they looked... better, actually!

I sliced the zucchini, then topped each circle with Mid's pizza sauce, a tiny bit of garlic salt, all three kinds of Daiya, and some basil. Then I baked them at 350 degrees for like 20 minutes, then broiled them for a few more. Next time I make them, I will pre-cook the zucchini on the grill, because they ended up soggy and had to be eaten with a fork. Grilling them would crisp them up enough to be used as vessels for pizza toppings! Doing it this way was still really tasty and I'd definitely eat it this way again, but I think it'd be better suited as a healthier alternative to chicken or eggplant parmigiana (since it's not fried) on a sandwich or with pasta.

1 comment: