Thursday, August 4, 2011

Inspiration and Explanation

I just realized that I forgot to mention where I got the inspiration to go ahead and do the juice fast, nor did I explain some things that probably need explaining!

First, we watched a documentary on Netflix called Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. If you have Netflix, WATCH IT!



Then, while looking for recipes, I discovered Green Smoothie Girl @ youtube and was convinced that this was something that I could do, but only if I had a high powered blender instead of a juicer (see my first entry about juicing for my reasoning.)



Also, I've decided that "juice fast" makes it sound like a dumb fad diet. "Juice cleanse" isn't much better. The idea of a cleanse sounds nice (especially after my recent bad experience with soy!) but my main objective IS to lose weight.

For those of you who don't know, hypothyroidism makes it really tough for me to lose weight. It actually lowers my metabolism! I had been fighting with people for years over the fact that I just CAN'T lose weight unless I eat under 1200 calories per day. People told me that it was impossible for someone my size to need to eat that little. Well, there you go...

When I went vegan, everyone expected me to drop a bunch of weight immediately. Honestly, I at least expected SOMETHING! So, after 6 months of healthy eating and still no weight loss, I decided to make a list of all of my ailments and take it to a doctor. She immediately suggested that it was probably my thyroid.

So now I have been on medication for almost 5 weeks, knowing that it takes a very long time to get thyroid medication straightened out, and I am tired of being fat and tired. I don't want to wait for my metabolism to catch up with me. If I'm only burning x amount of calories, then I just need to eat less! And if I'm going to do that, then I need to eat only very healthy, nutritionally dense foods... hence the juicing!

After 10 days, I will go back to eating beans, legumes, etc, but if I can stand to, I'm going to continue juicing for breakfast and lunch!

3 comments:

  1. Too funny, I saw the same documentary and that's why we decided to do a fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I meant to update you and tell you that day 4 did totally suck. I think I went temporally insane last night. I cried because my paint job wasn't going well and my legs and arms were too weak to stand on the ladder and cut in around the ceiling. My poor husband just stood their and didn't know what to say. I was a mess and he just touched my head and told me he would help me make the bathroom as pretty as I wanted it to be. I don't think the bathroom was really the problem. he made me a nice fruit juice and I felt much better after I drank it.
    Today was much better and I even had more energy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww!! Well at least you have a supportive husband! :) Dustin is the same way! We both actually fell asleep right after our dinner smoothies and didn't wake up until after 10 PM! I was like "uhh... we NEED to eat something else," so back to the VitaMix we went! I am tired this morning, but probably no more than usual. It's tough to tell with me. Maybe that'll be a good thing in my case... haha. Although we're also working on our house (trying to get a bedroom and office finished before friends from out of town visit on the 19th!)
    Good luck, and keep me updated on your progress! I'm so happy to know that there are others out there who are doing this!

    ReplyDelete