Monday, February 28, 2011

Sesame Tofu with Garlic String Beans and Brown Rice

This is my new favorite post-run dinner! I'd normally be against using a "bottled sauce," but this one is made with good ingredients and is SO GOOD.

Thanks to Robin for requesting that this be posted!

Ingredients:
1/4 cup (dry) brown rice

1 block of extra firm tofu
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. canola oil
1/4 cup (4 Tbsp.) Soy Vey Veri Veri Terkiyaki sauce (I got mine at Right by Nature in the Strip District)

1 lb. string beans
1 Tbsp. Earth Balance
1.5 tsp. minced garlic
Garlic salt to taste


Serves 2 decent eaters

First, put the brown rice on to cook, because it takes a long ass time (you know what I mean if you're a former white rice eater!) I use a rice cooker, and I'll admit to not knowing how (or wanting) to make real rice in a pot. Seriously, get a rice cooker if you don't have one. They're magical.

For the sesame teriyaki tofu, start with a block of extra firm tofu. Whole Foods' 365 brand is my favorite. First, drain the liquid, then use paper towels to press it. Be firm, but don't press too hard or it will crumble! Then slice it in half lengthwise to create two wide rectangles and press again (the inside is still very wet!) You want to get as much water out as possible, because we are frying this, and water and oil DO NOT MIX! I didn't get mine pressed well enough while focusing on taking photos for this, and I ended up spattering hot canola oil all over my foot. It's blistering now. So just suck it up and press the water out! You can layer paper towels then stack some heavy books or something on it if you have the time.


Next, cut the rectangles into strips. I find it easiest to make one cut down the center, then one to the left and one to the right, creating four strips. It makes it easier to eyeball them for evenness. Then turn the strips and make three more cuts. You should end up with 32 cubes total (Or "close enough to cubes" if you're like me. Whatever.)


Next, toss the cubes in a bowl with some corn starch. For the easiest and most uniform coating, measure 1 Tbsp. of cornstarch into the bowl, add the cubes, then add another Tbsp. of cornstarch on top.


While the cornstarch is absorbing the rest of the tofu's liquid, move on to chopping the ends off of the string beans. I don't know if this step is necessary, but it makes them look pretty! I weigh a pound for the two of us, which looks like a lot, but I promise they cook down a lot!


Next, add the Earth Balance and garlic to a pan.


After it melts, add the string beans and stir to coat them. I use a small one because I think stacking the beans helps to steam them without burning the outside. Just be sure to stir them around a lot!


Heat the oil in a large pan/skillet/wok/whatever until it's very hot. I use a low-tech method called "eyeballing the viscosity," which just means I lift the pan, swirl the oil around, and see if it looks like it has gotten very thin. Oil is much thicker when it's not hot. If you have access, I'd recommend using a deep fryer for this. After my accident yesterday, I'm definitely planning on getting one! When the oil is hot, add the tofu. Please be careful! The tofu has hidden water inside and will most likely crackle and spatter oil. Cook it until it looks something like the photo below. And don't worry, tofu and string beans are both tough to burn. Depending on how you like your beans, you may need to cook them a little longer. I like mine still "snappy."


When the tofu is done frying, you can dump it onto a plate covered in paper towels if there is still grease left. Remove the pan from the heat and add 1/4 cup of Veri Veri Teriyaki. Interesting fact: In Eminem's Slim Shady video, there is a bottle of this stuff in his fridge!




Plate up and serve!


Per serving:
Calories - 681
Carbs - 68
Fat - 33
Protein - 28

No comments:

Post a Comment