Saturday, January 8, 2011

Brookline Cart Tacos, Veganized!

Before I cut out meat, one of my favorite foods was a taco from Las Palmas in Brookline, a Mexican grocery store with a cart out on the sidewalk. Unfortunately, they have no non-meat options. Fortunately, the meat was pretty questionable anyway... to the point where I definitely don't miss it enough to be tempted to actually eat it.

Yesterday, Dustin and I stopped there to pick up some red peppers, and I realized I could buy the corn tortillas they use to make the tacos! Then I realized that I had several packs of extra firm tofu at home, so I picked up some carne asada seasoning. I mixed it with some cumin, sprayed the tofu chunks with olive oil, then tossed them in the seasoning and broiled them for a while. I sauteed some red and green peppers with some onion, then threw in some Daiya at the end to melt it, then threw all of it into a steamed tortilla with some homemade salsa with TONS of cilantro and a squeeze of lime. I seasoned some black beans as a side. Holycrap, it was amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment