Friday, January 14, 2011

Seitan Lunchmeat?!

So I've been looking and looking for a good seitan recipe. After several failed attempts at boiling and baking, I found this recipe on Vegan Dad's blog His instructions included wrapping the dough in foil and steaming and THEN baking, which I thought could be the key. I (more like he) was right! This made a HUGE loaf of seitan that will be amazing for things like BBQ melts and cheesesteaks!

First, I had to figure out what I was going to use to steam it since I don't have a steamer insert. I went with this colander, which actually fit into my biggest pot very nicely! Then I put the pot lid on top, and I suddenly had a free steamer! I will be using this to steam other things in the future!

After an hour of that, I put the log on a (sorry ass) pan and baked for another hour.

When it came out, it had grown to almost twice the size of the dough loaf, and the foil pressed on it, which I think made it more dense and meaty. The bottom was browned and crispy, and it was just plain amazing. If you need a good seitan recipe for sandwiches, this is definitely the one. Now I just have to figure out how to slice it thinly without cutting myself (deli slicer?) Thanks, Vegan Dad!


UPDATE!!!

Dustin was able to slice it pretty thinly!

We made paninis with homemade bbq sauce, daiya and caramelized red onion!

(I apologize for the crappy quality of my photos lately, but there's an issue with the Blogger app that they're hopefully going to resolve soon!)

2 comments:

  1. Tried this...THANK YOU! It was super easy to make, and I was able to slice it super thin with a bread knife. I ended up making buffalo seitan melts with it. Sliced the seitan super thin, threw it in a sautee pan with buffalo sauce, and then piled it onto sub rolls and added cheese (ok, not vegan...but could be!), and then baked them open in the oven. OMG. SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, weird! That's what I was planning to do with the chunk that I have left. (I've been mostly just sawing off pieces and eating them!) I guess we're probably both just ripping off Spak's melts, though... haha.

    ReplyDelete