Thursday, January 6, 2011

Transition Complete?

I thought it would take me a LONG time to get to this point (if ever!) but our kitchen is almost 100% vegan now, with the exception of things like horseradish mayo that I LOVE and need to find a vegan replacement for before I run out! I'm thinking about making my own using Veganaise.
I feel like it was easier because I didn't try to force it... and all of the new recipes in the vegan cookbooks I've bought helped too! I wouldn't ever say that it's easy, because it's not. It involves a lot of grocery shopping at multiple stores on the other side of town, prep work like chopping and grinding spices, and cooking, of course. It's kind of sad how modern people view preparing what goes into their bodies as "too much work" or "a waste of time." Our ancestors had the time and energy to cook real food... is our health really worth the extra hour a day? What would we be doing with it, anyway? Sitting on the couch?

I don't know why I thought you'd enjoy seeing the current contents of my fridge and cabinet... maybe because you're a creep? :)

I'm still trying to wean Dustin off of soda... that's the last Diet Coke and he'll hopefully be drinking the cans of natural cane sugar soda (to the left) in moderation from now on. Also, I wish the crisper drawers were bigger! I wonder if you can buy extra crisper boxes... do aftermarket fridge parts exist?


Did you know that Americans typically spend less than 10% of their disposable income on food? That's HALF of what we were spending in 1950. We'll drop $2000 for that new LED TV, but spending a couple extra dollars to eat ACTUAL food is unacceptable? Scary stuff.

That said, this is the least eating-disordered I've ever felt in my life. I'm not always hungry and looking for things to munch on (and it's a good thing, since we aren't buying prepackaged/prepared foods anymore!) We walked past a Little Caesar's in Kmart yesterday and both decided that it smelled gross. THAT is progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment