Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Some Things are Better Left to the Pros

I've decided to stop making vegan ice cream at home. I just can't seem to get it right, and with the availability of great flavors and reasonable prices at Whole Foods (and the one below from Trader Joe's,) it doesn't even make sense to. As a base, I've tried almond milk, coconut milk and cashews, and the cashews were the only thing that worked well. But 2 cups of raw cashews is expensive, and it's really just not worth the work. I'm not going to bother trying soy, because I typically HATE soy (the Trader Joe's below is pretty much my only exception,) and if I have to add a ton of sugar and chocolate to cover up the taste, I think my purpose will be defeated. So yeah, back to the depths of the small appliance cabinet goes the ice cream machine!



One thing that I will definitely NOT leave to the pros is my veggie and bean chili... no meat substitute needed- it's THAT good! I actually wrote down what I put in it the other day and I am SO glad. It's hands down the best I've ever made. If you want me to add the recipe, just let me know! Just know that it requires cumin seeds to be freshly ground (I used a mortar and pestle.) Seriously, try it and you will never use the pre-ground stuff ever again!

No comments:

Post a Comment